This article provides you useful tips on setting up a step challenge and avoiding duplicate steps.
If you are planning to set up a step challenge for your community, there are a few practical things to keep in mind to measure the steps correctly and to avoid counting the steps double.
The steps are imported into HeiaHeia from a wearable or from a phone (iPhone: Health app / Android: Google Fit). Entering steps manually in HeiaHeia is also possible.
Note! Setting the challenge using conversion (hours converted into steps) might cause problems in counting steps in a correct way. Here's an example:
A person goes jogging for one hour wearing a wearable that is connected to HeiaHeia. After training, she/he enters her/his activity into the service in hours. The following steps will be counted:
- Step data, for example 5.000 steps, are imported from the wearable into HeiaHeia.
- Entering 1 hour jogging will be converted into 5.000 steps.
This way the steps will be counted twice: 5000+5000 steps.
Also, entering steps when logging certain activities won't be included into the challenge.
=> For these reasons, we recommend A. Not to use the conversion at all B. if a user enters a training into HeiaHeia manually, she/he should always pick Steps as sport art from the list (not walking, jogging etc).
Here's how to set up a step challenge correctly in admin actions:
1. Choose a challenge type (=campaign type) . For example a common goal: Walking together from A to B.
2. Choose to measure Physical activity.
3. Pick Daily activity as sport art in the dropdown list. Don't pick any other sport arts!
4. Choose steps as measurement unit. Don't use conversion.
5. Enter the amout of your goal. You will find tips in setting an appropriate goal here (coming soon).
6. Finalize by entering a motivating title and a backround picture. Send a message to all members of your community and launch the Challenge. Messages can be sent later also.
Tips for informing your community members about importing the step data:
1. Connect your wearable OR the health app of your phone (Health app / Google Fit) to HeiaHeia. We recommend to connect only one of these. Connecting BOTH might cause double entries. More information here.
2. You can enter all your activities into HeiaHeia, but included in the step challenge will be: 1. daily activity imported from your wearable or phone and 2. activities that are entered in HeiaHeia under the sport art Steps.
More information about setting up HeiaHeia Challenges can be found here.